"And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free."
Bonus Winona points if you know what that is from.
I assume you have already googled those lyrics and discovered that they are in fact from Defying Gravity from WICKED (not the lame-o Glee version which left out them and everything else wonderful from that song), because I know how much you all are desperate for Winona points. I felt like opening this post with these lyrics because I am currently lapsing back into my Wicked obsession. I actually wrote nearly an entire post about Wicked yesterday, but never finished it and I feel like writing a general blog at the moment, so that will be completed and will go up later.
"And nobody in all of Oz/no wizard that there is or was/is ever gonna bring me down"
Moving on from Wicked...
Let's talk Viennese Ball for a moment. In case you don't know, Viennese is pretty much the greatest dance my school does. Orchestra puts it on, and basically it is a night of waltzing and eating good food. It is way better that homecoming, which is bad, repetitive music and sex with your clothes on. Viennese is much more civilized than that.
Set up this year, however, was rather interesting. Every year orchestra students stay after to set up, meaning transform our ugly cafeteria into a ballroom. It is really pretty incredible how awesome the place looks by the time we are done- we make one of those balloon archways where the orchestra performs, we hang "chandeliers" from the ceiling, which are basically cardboard circles with Christmas lights hanging down, we string other Christmas lights all over the place, and we hang snowflakes from the ceiling. After turning off the lights, the entire room is transformed.
However, this year we had some issues. The first was with the balloon arch. We ran out of balloons, and when we sent someone to get new ones, the new balloons ended up popping randomly by themselves on the ground. Eventually, someone must have found some random balloons somewhere, so the bottom of the blue and white archway was red, pink, and other such bright colors. However, this was the least of our worries. You see, Viennese Ball is a fire hazard. We are not technically allowed to hang things from the ceiling, or there is some ridiculous regulation for it, but we do it anyway. What we really do is wait for the fire marshall, who is this really scary guy who goes through our school terrorizing children, to leave. He usually leaves at around 5, but this year he left at 6:30. The dance starts at 7, and we are normally done with set up at 6. So basically, we sat there for an hour staring at his office door, which happens to be in the cafeteria, willing the light to turn off and him to leave. We were given orders to change into our dresses and suits and such and be ready to have a crazy set up the moment he walked out the door. So at 6:30, that is just what we did. I, in my dress and converse shoes, was up on the ladder hanging lights and snowflakes with everyone else. People were running around, cutting tape, hanging snowflakes, cutting more tape, hanging lights, cutting even more tape, fixing lights that fell down, and so on until just after 7. I admit, it was pretty crazy but fun!
Viennese, as always, was wonderful :) We had Miles double last year and dance with eight girls, four of which he was not allowed to know. It was incredibly entertaining watching him run around, freaking out about asking girls, and eventually going up to them anyway. Katie told him if he did not complete his task, I believe she would get his first born or something? Yeah, my friends are weird. Miles, Katie, and Christian did their Bohemian Rhapsody, and we all ate wonderful food. Eventually, the dance was over. I slipped into my converse once again and did a bit of clean up, but decided as I did more than my share of set up, I deserved to go home. Freshman year, I didn't tell my friends to come to Viennese and ended up having a crappy time. These past two dances have been so much fun, and I can't believe I once dreaded and suffered through Viennese Ball like I did that year.
"And now whatever way our stories end/I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend."
And on that note, have a good week everybody!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(122)
-
▼
January
(15)
- Controversy
- Snuggle with a puggle
- I don't think you should read this.
- APUSH Blogging #2
- There is toothpaste on my face
- I really hope this is not my last blog post
- Nostalgia
- Titles, titles, titles
- Odd.
- EXTREME
- Bonus points if you can guess which aspect of Amer...
- Japanese exchange students :)
- Wicked, Viennese, and other nonsense
- School School School School
- Procrastination, spring break, and cheap dresses
-
▼
January
(15)
1 comments:
Lolll Winonaaaa that sounds like a blast!
Post a Comment