So last night I was in Barnes and Noble, why? Because I needed to buy some SAT II prep books, that's why. Oh joy. I was in a pretty good mood, as it was about 8 PM and I found out the store was open until 11, so I didn't need to rush to get my books and leave. After picking up my books, I browsed the college prep section a bit (as it was this month's featured section) while listening to some music in the background. I was pleasantly surprised when the song ended and I heard applause from a different part of the store. A bookstore concert! I was instantly reminded of summer '07 and wizard rock shows in bookstores, and for a moment I wondered if this actually was a wizard rock concert about which I did not know. Paired with knowing that it was the first anniversary of LeakyCon, I was instantly in a comfortable nostalgic mood. I didn't hear any singing, though, so I supposed it was some funky random band I would never listen to, but I figured, hey, it's a Friday night and they are playing in Barnes and Noble. I support them regardless. I continued my browsing, glancing at the teen section that will soon be renamed as the "vampire section," reading a few titles in the sociology section, checked to see if they had any good kanji workbooks (they didn't), before I glanced over at the source of music. I felt immediate disappointment when I saw two girls playing flutes, wearing shirts that read the marching band of a local high school. Now I understood the truck in the parking lot that also said this school's marching band on the side. At once, my happy bliss dropped when I realized this wasn't some small band trying to get somewhere by starting in bookstores, it was just a marching band fundraiser. I still enjoyed my evening in the bookstore, but it was still somewhat disappointing. It's weird- why should I have any expectations of a Friday evening at Barnes and Noble? I guess I am just so ready for summer, it was a warm evening, Barnes and Noble smells nice, and this perfect scenario jumped out of nowhere only to disappear as quickly as it came.
This morning I sat down at my computer and opened Pandora, as I do so often. While it was loading, I decided I was in the mood to hear the glorious tones of Clay Aiken's voice. I watched the loading bar for a few moments, in which I decided if he wasn't the first song, I would pause and go listen to him on youtube. Then I decided if he was the first song, I would have a good day. No, not just a good day. Today would be the best Relay yet. I then thought this was stupid to think and I would have a good day regardless (Of course it will be the best Relay yet! When has it ever been disappointing?). I used to do this a lot- making random contests for myself in order to determine the future. If they work, then it was fate, and if they don't, then the system was faulty, or it was never meant to happen (this is kinda how I view religion and why I don't believe in it). Keep in mind, all of these thoughts took place in the span of about four seconds. The loading screen when away and WHAT DO YOU KNOW, Clay Aiken was the first song of the day. Pandora just knows sometimes.
Relay for Life is today :) I'm going to go start on my 20,000 essays I have due this week and learn how to pitch a tent. Bye!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment