Obsessions and over-analysis

Saturday, September 26, 2009
I wish I was a better writer. I feel like I should be introducing my week in some creative way, using really awesome metaphors and describing things in funny ways. Instead, all I can think of are, "This week: I woke up. I went to school. I failed a few tests. I went home." And now I'm stuck. I have nothing left to say. I think I over-analyze things too much. I think I've used "I" over 15 times in the past 7 sentences. You see! Here I go again. I analyze myself, my surroundings, my writing, my thought process, everything until the world is this big vortex of I HAVE LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT.
This must be very interesting. You are truly seeing into the world of my mind. I actually did that once- I was babysitting and totally bored, and I had a half-written letter to Jo in a notebook with me. Everything I wrote was weird and not what I wanted to say, so for five minutes I just let my pen spill out every thought in my mind. It was actually a bit scary to see some of these thoughts on paper, and I never ended up mailing the letter. It is still in my possession... somewhere. This reminds me of an assignment we did in English last year, where we were to start writing a poem about whatever we wanted, and then my teacher would put a random word on the board and we had to somehow incorporate it into the poem. Every word somehow fit perfectly into the poem and pushed it along in a direction I hadn't expected. My poem was about how much I hated how my life was centered around school and grades, and how much I missed Harry Potter (I called it an apple in the poem, which was the first word she gave us). The poem, however, went into the "Never release to the world" category of my writing. In case you are wondering, other things there are my story of meeting Jo at LeakyCon (I call it a fanfiction of my life); the one and only fanfiction I ever wrote, which was written in a notebook and never went online; my very first letter to Jo; and other such items.

My weekend so far: Friday, after an early dinner, my mother and I went to my school's football game. I don't feel like elaborating on it, other than the fact that I LOVE the roof of the press box at that school. It's really smooth and rubbery. When your shoes are wet, you can draw really cool pictures on the ground with your feet, which I remember getting a bit too excited about last year.
Recently, I have become somewhat obsessed with the show Numb3rs. I'm not sure why, but I am. I just like to obsess over things, I guess. Last night was the season premiere at 10 pm, and I was DYING to see it. The problem, of course, is that the football games start at 7:30. This meant that if the game ended at 9:30 (pretty early for a high school football game), we could pack up in about 10 minutes, get the cameras and equipment to the coaches in about five, and somehow make it home in the first five minutes of the show. The entire game I was watching the time on the scoreboard, checking it with the time on my phone, and doing math to see how much time was left, and how early we could get out of there. The team we were playing was a very good team, and we aren't the best when it comes to sports (to put it nicely), so this gave me an advantage, as once the difference in scores gets to a certain point in high school games, they don't stop the clock as much. The second half is always shorter than the first. I felt really bad, because at the very end we actually came close to possibly scoring, but I didn't really notice because all I could do was watch the clock and try to follow the ball with the camera. The instant it was over, I immediately began finalizing the tape, which takes about five minutes. I don't know why, but my mother's ALWAYS takes less time than mine. We like to race cameras, and I could start 3o seconds before her and hers will still finish first. I don't get it. But either way, while we were waiting, we came up with the plan on how to most quickly pack up the equipment. I would do cameras and tripods, she could wrap the cables and extension cords. We counted down the last few seconds, and then we started unplugging cords, turning off cameras, wrapping cables, and everything as fast as possible. In record time, we were going down the bleachers to the buses, where we took a bit too long getting the stuff loaded. And then we were off! My mother and I literally ran from the buses to the car, down this really creepy side of the school which looked like a place for rapists to hang out and rape little children (there was actually a playground on one side...). We jumped in the car (she drove, I figured she would get home faster than I could), and of course, we made a wrong turn out of the parking lot. Eventually, we found our way after some directions being read from the light of a cell phone and some illegal maneuvers from my mother (we were sitting in the left lane at a light when she realized she should have been in the right lane, and she moved about four lanes over in two seconds), and we got home about ten minutes into the show. Not bad! From now on, though, I think I'll just watch them online the next day. But you see, this is what I love about obsessions. You have such better stories to tell! If I had said, "We filmed the football game, packed up, and came home about 20 minutes into Numb3rs, which is a show I enjoy. I decided to watch it online the next day," I would be the most boring person ever. Here I go again with the over-analysis.

Random observation: I see David Krumholtz/Charlie Eppes, Darren Criss, and Josh Groban as the same person. I don't know why, but I'll hear a Josh Groban song or see a video of Darren Criss and think of Charlie. I'm insane, I know. They all look alike.

I write too much. I'm going to go write my journal for Japanese, maybe talk to some CoWs on tokbox, or maybe watch a movie on hulu. Or maybe I'll watch SNL. Or finish math homework.
Oh, the possibilities of being home on a Saturday night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment