Angry Bob was angry

Monday, September 13, 2010
Rant time.

For the past several thousand years, Jews have been celebrating the New Year in the fall. Ergo, every single teacher who has ever taught before in their life should probably notice the pattern of one or two random days in the fall in which all the students with the "Berg's" and the "Stein's" and the "Rosen's" in their last names all magically disappear from class. They might also note that these days are probably marked on their calendar by two words they can't pronounce ("Rosh Hashanah? Yom Kippur? Never heard of 'em).

So if every single year this pattern continues, I find it curious that some teachers still feel it necessary to assign large assignments on these days without warning students beforehand that a large assignment will be assigned on a day which has been observed by people for the past 5000+ years, and then not even offer an extension to those students who were just using their first amendment right to practice whatever religion they choose. And even if they post such assignments on blackboard, the topics were still decided in class, so there was no way for a diligent and hardworking student to be caught up with her classmates.

This is something I have dealt with for the past 12 years, but this year has been particularly bad. I hate ignorance more than almost anything in the world, and this year I simply have ignorant teachers. Football games are moved for the Jewish holidays; I don't understand why teachers can't follow the same example. It makes it difficult for me to want to miss school for these holidays (which by the way, are the most important in the entire Jewish religion, WAY more so than Hanukkah) when each year it takes me forever to make up. This is a public school system, and I shouldn't feel threatened by practicing my religion.

I'm applying early decision to Vassar, which closes for the Jewish holidays. I hope this is the last time I am dealing with this crap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment