English love STRIKES AGAIN

Thursday, September 30, 2010
You know what is a wonderful feeling? LOVING something you are doing in school. This is such a rare emotion lately, as it seems school's only purpose is to drain every ounce of energy from my mind and destroy my soul in the process. However, we just began reading "The Woman Warrior" by Maxine Hong Kingston in English and I am only two chapters in but I am in love with this book. It's like Emily Dickinson all over again. I love when writers pour their feelings into words that flow in ways you never thought words could flow, but have meanings that don't make sense whatsoever. I love this, because it means the words are straight from the writer's soul and they aren't trying to retell them for a foreign audience. You can feel the person in the movement and the rhythm of the words, the metaphors, and you can respect that you don't understand all of it and THAT'S OKAY. We always need to understand everything, and if something doesn't make sense, then it's pointless. I think we should instead try to embrace what we don't understand and just accept it like that. Not all questions need answers- some are better staying as questions.

I'm tired and I don't feel like getting too much into her story, but she uses a ton of nature metaphors and off-topic descriptions, so obviously I am eating this stuff up and tomorrow my classmates will probably whine about it. But that's okay, because this is my last year in a science and tech school and next year I won't be alone in my dorkiness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment