Dead Man

Thursday, February 25, 2010
I am so exhausted right now. I really want to sleep, but it is 7:46 PM and I haven't touched any of my homework. Granted, at this rate I'll just stay up until 10 and get absolutely nothing done, so I may as well write this and go to sleep. I have a lot to say at the moment and I won't be able to sleep until I get it off my chest.

Today we had a double English in which we watched a movie called "Dead Man." My English teacher described it as slow, something that might bore a lot of us, but that had a lot of symbolism and meaning to it. It was black and white, although made in 1995, and I figured I might like it. Plus, it starred Johnny Depp, which ended up being the only redeeming factor of this movie. I LOVE Johnny Depp when he was younger, though I find him to be a bit cocky now. In general, I sometimes get bored by the carefully planned out style of most of today's movies, and I thought could enjoy something like this.

However.

I knew the movie was rated R because we had to get forms signed before we could see it. I have nothing against R rated movies. If it's just a little sex, nudity, the f bomb here and there, I'm okay with it. Explosions and such are boring to me, but rather numbing and I can watch them. NOTHING like this movie.

I don't think I have ever been more disturbed by a movie in my life. I absolutely despised it. I don't even care that there was no plot, which I was expecting from what my teacher told us about this director. I've seen gun shots in plenty of movies and TV shows, but none this horribly (and unrealistically?) graphic. I managed to close my eyes in time for the scene in which a man stepped on a dead man's head and exploded it, but I unfortunately saw too much of the shot of that same man eating another man's arm. I appreciate how the evolution of Johnny Depp's character involved him killing others ruthlessly, but the way it was portrayed was completely excessive and unnecessary. The movie was supposed to give an uneasy feeling with the grainy film and odd soundtrack, but I left it feeling truly disturbed. If there was a meaning, I couldn't see it. I was too busy covering my eyes.

Okay. So it is now over an hour later. I started talking to Kara on skype, and then I got some cocoa, then I talked to my mother for a bit, and the next thing I know I'm starting physics. I didn't get far on it, so I figured I'd finish this post and then go do that. I guess writing this gave me the energy I was severely lacking two hours ago.

Cutest this EVER: So today I came home to see my fifteen year old brother sending an email to my twelve year old brother's friend on girl advice. Apparently he and his friends have been sending a series of messages to each other about how one of his friends likes a girl and wants to ask her out, but he is afraid that all his girl friends will hate him if he does. I didn't read too much of the conversation because I didn't want to make either of my brothers too uncomfortable, but the whole thing was absolutely adorable. Oh, to be in sixth grade again.

I am currently LOVING this band: http://www.myspace.com/thedowntownfiction
Go pre-order their EP. They are wonderful.

Smile! Tomorrow is Friday :)

1 comments:

KaraDawlish said...

Hahahah that's so cute man
iDk why i am like visualizing that, but it's adorable

Post a Comment